Monday, November 9, 2015

I'm Running Out of Subject Line Ideas . . .

Dearest Family and Friends,

Here I am in Georgia and yet another amazing week has come and gone. I am so privileged to be here, and I have SOOO many amazing experiences awaiting me! I just love being a missionary. So I am going to go in order of how my week went, so yes I will talk about transfers, but later. :)

Library Story....so last week we had to go to the library to do training online, and as we were leaving, a sister called to us and said, "hello sisters!!!" We knew she was LDS because no one talks to us unless they know us. She asked us if we were the sisters going to her "Time out for women" speech. We said we weren't because it wasn't in our area. Then we just started talking. She was with her mom, and her 2 friends that weren't members. We talked about the missionaries that had given her a book of Mormon. She said she wanted to learn Spanish. We told her if she read the Book of Mormon in English and Spanish side by side, that she would learn Spanish. So we gave her a Book of Mormon in Spanish. We talked for a while. Then we asked if we could say a prayer with them. We asked if there was anything we could pray for specifically. My companions told me to say the prayer because they feel awkward saying prayers in English, and they feel like I'm not awkward in Engligh...haha. So, I said the prayer. It was such a powerful experience as we all stood in a circle and prayed together. The lady wanted to take pictures with us :) It was SOOOO much fun to talk with them. This lady, Zandra, that we met is such a great example. She is doing SOOO many good things in her life. SHe is such an example to many, and I'm glad I met her. :)



Christmas Pajamas....so, we went to Target because Hermana Gallardo needed to buy a coat because she didn't have one, and Sister Stewart and I saw these ADORABLE Christmas pajamas....we couldn't help ourselves. WE HAD TO GET THEM. We decided it would be fun to get some for our new companion to welcome her into our companionship, so we got
her some too. So, that was REALLY fun. :)



Juan....so an update on Juan. He was on date for baptism....but he told us this last week that he doesn't want to get baptized. He just can't change from his catholic traditions....it was sad. BUT. He said he prayed about the Book of Mormon and he knows without a doubt that the book is true.....so we know because he has that knowledge, through time he will accept baptism. We'll keep working with him. :)

Transfers....okay, so here is the big news of this week. We got an ADORABLE new companion. Her name is Hermana Meneses (pronounced just as it's written). She is supposed to be serving in Ecuador, so she is awaiting her VISA. They said it wouldn't take very long,.....so we're thinking we'll be lucky to have her here for 2 transfers. We think she might be cleared after one transfer. We'll see. We hope she stays longer!!! She really wants to! She is from Salt Lake City but her
parents are from Mexico. She knows Spanish already, which is helpful to us when we want to know what a word means. She is so sweet. She is so excited about  the work. She is always quizzing herself on the area, the investigators, the members, etc. She really cares about this area and it hasn't even been a week!!!!! I am AMAZED!!!!! it is so fun to be a trainer. I feel like I get to learn all over again! It's such a great review. Being called as a trainer was the perfect opportunity
to redevelop really good habits. I am really excited for this opportunity. I was bummed about being in a trio again....but I know the Lord put us here for a reason, and now I'm pretty used to a trio so it's not that bad. I am really excited for this transfer!!!!! :) She really is the perfect little missionary. I can't even get over it. Even though she already knows the language, she's really humble and accept our teachings and advice. This is literally the most perfect situation I could ever be in. I just love her. So our first day was really interesting. We dropped her stuff off at the airport, then we went to Grady hospital. One of our members gave us a referral. There was a lady in the ICU who was taking missionary lessons in English, but wanted them in Spanish. So, we went to visit her in the hospital. We taught her husband Bill (not Hispanic, he's black) while we waited, and then visited her in the hospital and taught her a short lesson. It was definitely the first time that's happened to me. We ended up having to give her over to the Spanish elders in another area because they live in Carrollton, and that is NOT in our area. So, it was a fun first day. We've just had so much fun this week. We've visited less
actives, members, etc. We went knocking and found an Asian man that pretended to not know English. We also ran into a gay couple....that was REALLY awkward, and there were killer dogs in the apartment too. Yikes. What a great first week!! Haha. We have been having SOOO much fun with her!



Temple.....we have a goal this transfer to take 5 people to the temple in the branch who haven't gone before. Whether that be less actives that we re activate, or members that haven't gone, and we help them out. :) We really feel like we need to stress the temple with our members and less actives this transfer. We are really excited to see how this transfer goes!! :) One of the less actives we visited REALLY wants to prepare to get her endownments...but she can't come to church
because of work, so we're going to work with her on that, and help her prepare to go to the temple. :)

Sunday....so we had a great Sunday! President Foote talked about Sunday's at transfer meeting. He talked about how regardless of what investigators come, or what happens on Sunday, it's always the best day because we get to partake of the Sacrament. I couldn't agree more!!! So, we were put to the test on Sunday. Saturday night we visited Maria, she used to be on date but stopped progressing. We invited her to church. She works every Sunday and NEVER comes. But we
still invite her. THIS TIME she actually said yes!!! She said she needed a ride. We gave her the number of a member family that could take her. Maria said she'd call in the morning to make sure they were coming and she'd be ready. So, we worked all that out. We sat in church, and watched the family walk in that was supposed to bring her...but no Maria. What had happened? We talked to them after Sacrament meeting and they said that she was there...but said she didn't want to come. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I was devastated....she had never been able to come because of work but REALLY wanted to. Finally her opportunity comes, the family driving her is at her door, and she denies it. I was heartbroken. I just had to know that we did everything we could have. And.....I got to partake of the Sacrament. :) We also had a GREAT correlation after church. We had our ward mission leader and assistant there. They talked about each investigator and less active we were working with. We picked our most progressing, and they said that they would use the full forces of the
branch to friendship these people and help them out. I am SOOOO excited to work with the branch more. Things are really coming together!!!!!

Chamblee really is growing. This is a tough area, and a tough branch, but it's getting stronger. I can't wait to see what happens this transfer. I am SO lucky to be a missionary, and I'm so excited to be here! I will keep all of you in my prayers this week. Thanks for all the support. I love you all!!

Love,
Hermana Bringhurst

No comments:

Post a Comment